- Johnny Morehouse: The Boy and His Dog: Everyone loves this local legend surrounding the death of a small boy and the devotion of his dog!
- Attacking a Ghost in Library Park: One of our favorite stories about fed-up citizens trying to attack a ghost!
- Carpenter Road: A quiet road in Sugarcreek, a haunted road, or a road with mischievous residents? You decide.
- Witch’s Tower/Frankenstein’s Castle: Another local favorite! Ever wondered where the stories surrounding this mysterious landmark originated? We found out….
March 1913, The Great Dayton Flood.
Rising waters drove people to treetops and attics. People were spotted on rooftops, stranded, but were not able to be rescued. Survivors recount tragic tales, including watching a two-story house floating by, a man, woman, and child stranded helplessly at their front door. As the house was swept along with the current, on an ill-fated journey into the Dayton View Bridge, the man closed the front door suddenly. Moments later, the distinct sound of two gunshots was heard from inside.
Enter William “Bill” G. Sloan.
The chain of events that started Dayton’s Great Flood started on March 21, 1913, with a rainstorm. Over the next few days, more rain came, ultimately weakening the levees and flooding the already oversaturated soil. Water rose quickly, and as gas lines were destroyed, a fire started downtown that destroyed most of a block.
As these events were happening, twenty four year old David T. Chambers of North Dayton could not stand by and watch without helping. From the safety of his home, which was located above the flood waters, he could see the damage being caused by the rising waters.
- It is believed that the weather conditions leading to the 1913 Dayton Flood were caused by the eruption of Mount Katmai and its daughter volcano Novarupta in Alaska in 1912. Novarupta emitted enough fine ash into the atmosphere to cool the climate of the Northern Hemisphere that winter. This storm caused the Great Tornadoes of Omaha before striking Dayton.
The Miami Conservancy District was organized in 1915, in response to the Great Dayton Flood. The MCD built levees, straightened the river channel, and built 5 dams to control flooding in the Miami Valley. The Miami Conservancy District was the first major watershed district in the nation. The district and its projects are unusual in that they were funded almost entirely by local tax initiatives.
“To forever protect the lives and property of the people of the Miami Valley from floods; to fix the charges against those who are benefited, and nobody else; to reimburse everyone who is in any way damaged through the construction of such works as may be necessary; to pay a just price for all property in any way injured; to complete the work in the shortest possible length of time”
David’s Cemetery grounds are open every day, 24 hours a day for walking or visiting.
View historical monuments and beautiful scenery while getting a long walk. Don’t miss Old Glory Plaza, which was built in 2015 to memorialize members of the community, public servants, and military. Five 8-foot granite tablets pay tribute to each branch of the military.