- Orville was a snazzy dresser – Orville wore well-tailored suits, wingtips, and “snappy argyle socks.”
- Orville loved playing the mandolin. In fact, he played it so often that it drove his sister Katherine to say, “He sits around and picks that thing until I can hardly stay in the house the point of madness.”
We came up with fifteen questions we thought would truly showcase Laurana’s personality and told her that she could pick and choose which questions to answer. In true Laurana form, she decided to answer all of them! We hope you enjoy learning about her as much as we did!
- First Telegraph Message – Received in Dayton on September 17, 1847.
- First United Brethren Church – The first United Brethren church in Dayton was organized in 1847, in a small room in the Oregon Engine House. Their first church building was erected in 1852, at Sixth Street and Logan Street, later being purchased by the city and converted into a city prison.
- First Gas Company – Chartered February 4, 1848, by Daniel Beckel, Peter Voorhees, Daniel Stout, I.F. Howells, David Winter, J.D. Loomis, J.D. Phillips, Valentine Winters, John Mills and Daniel W. Weelock.
- First Hebrew congregation – The first Hebrew congregation was organized in 1850. They met in the old Dayton Bank building until 1863, when they purchased the old Baptist house of worship.
- First Railroad – The first railroad line to enter Dayton was the Mad River & Lake Erie Railroad, between Dayton and Springfield. It was formally opened on January 25th, 1851.
- First Depot = The first railroad depot erected in Dayton stood at the northwest corner of Jefferson Street and Sixth Street, and was finished and occupied in 1851.
- First Town Charter – The first charter of the town of Dayton was granted by the legislature on February 12, 1805. For the next ten years, the town council met at the homes of its various members.
- First President of Council – David Reid, elected at the first meeting held following the formation of the body under the new charter.
Located at 900 Mound Street, Miamisburg Mound pre-dates Dayton – but it is very important to Dayton History. Here are some facts:
- The Mound is actually a burial mound, and it is one of the largest conical mounds in North America, and is the largest conical mound in Ohio.
- The Mound is listed on the National Register of Historic Places
- Mounds like this served as cemeteries, and may have also marked boundary lines for tribal territories.
- The Mound is 65 feet tall. It was originally 68 feet tall, before an excavation attempt in 1869.
- Built by the Adena people.
- There are 116 steps leading from the bottom to top.
- This mound has never been systematically excavated.
- In 2004, crop circles appeared in the field nearby to the Mound.
- It is believed that the high hills of Woodland Cemetery and Calvary Cemetery may have also been burial mounds at one time.
“Find the need and endeavor to meet it.” – David Ainslie Sinclair
Although his tombstone in Woodland simply states “Secretary of the YMCA”, David Sinclair did much more for Dayton and its residents.
Time for another round of small, but interesting facts we’ve found in our research!
- Dayton is the 6th largest city in Ohio.
- There are a few former Indian burial grounds: one at the corner of Water Street (now Monument Avenue) and Beckel Street (Beckel Street still currently exists in part, but no longer intersects with Monument Avenue), one on the Fairgrounds Hill, one on a knoll in Woodland Cemetery, one at the north end of the Dayton View Bridge, and one at the west end of the Third Street Bridge.
- James S. Trent – for whom Trent Arena at Fairmont High School is named – was a superintendent and educator.
- The Dayton Dragons, farm team for the Cincinnati Reds, have played ball downtown since 2000, and recently set the national professional sports record for consecutive sellout home games.