We believe in giving credit where credit is due, so we’ll be citing our sources here for when we just have to look up a certain piece of information or if we quote something directly.
This page will show the bibliography for the current year’s posts only. For previous years:
- Let’s Get Funky, Dayton!: The Funk Center, WYSO: Boogie Nights: A History Of Funk In Dayton, Dayton.com: 8 Dayton Acts You Should Give a Funk About, Cincinnati Magazine: Is Dayton The World Capital of Funk?, The band Slave on Wikipedia, The Funk Era and Beyond by Scot Brown, p. 73-88
- More Interesting Dayton Facts: For the Love of Dayton: Life in the Miami Valley 1796-2001, Dayton Daily News , 2001.
- Going Out With a Bang: My God, I’ve Shot Myself: Clement Vallandigham on Wikipedia, Vintage News, Cincinnati Curiosities: How Did A Copperhead Lawyer End Up Dead At The Golden Lamb?, Mental Floss: The Defense Rests (in Peace): How a Civil War Rabble-Rouser Went Out With a Bang, The Limits of Dissent: Clement L. Vallandigham and the Civil War by Frank L. Klement, page 309.
- Farmersville Bottle Farm: Remarkable Ohio: Historical Markers, Firsthand account of the farm from someone who lived nearby
- Oddball Street Names: Dayton Daily News: 10 of the best stories behind the area’s off-the-wall street names, Dayton Daily News: The weird, unlikely, and comical grace some street names, Dayton Daily News: From Chicken Bristle to Washington, every street has a story, and Dayton Daily News: Dayton’s gypsy heritage recalled on street signs
- Lee Lynam: History of the Police Department of Dayton, Ohio: From Earliest Times to October First 1907, John C. Whitaker, 1907, Officer Down Memorial Page: Patrolman Lee Lynam, Find a Grave: Lee Lynam, Dayton Daily News: 5 area officers who died in the line of duty, History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery County, Ohio, Volume 1, S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1909, FOP Lodge 44 Newsletter – The Aegis, Volume 13, Issue 5, May 2009
- Water you doing, Dayton?: Dayton History Books Online: A Generous Man, Dayton History Books Online: Dayton, Ohio – An Intimate History, Chapter Twelve, Prohibition in Dayton: Bathtub Gin and Alcohol During Prohibition , City of Dayton Water: Water Utility Field Operations, Ground-Water Resources of the Dayton Area, Ohio by Stanley E. Norris and Andrew M. Spieker, 1966
- More Interesting Street Names: Dayton Daily News: Dayton’s gypsy heritage recalled on street signs, Dayton Daily News: 10 of the best stories behind the area’s off-the-wall street names , Dayton Daily News: From Chicken Bristle to Washington, every street has a story
- Adam Schantz, Sr.: Biography of Adam Schantz, Sr., Dayton History Books Online: A Generous Man, 17 things to see at Woodland Cemetery
- Liberty Tower: Indigo Life – Decoding Dayton: Liberty Tower: Ground Floor Architecture, Indigo Life- Decoding Dayton: Origins of Liberty Tower, Dayton Daily News: 12 remarkable facts about Dayton history you need to know, Dayton.com: Dayton’s Liberty Tower: A movie star with its own code name, Liberty Tower on Wikipedia,Dayton Daily News: The history of downtown’s Liberty Tower, soon-to-be movie star in a Robert Redford film
- The Yellow Spring: WYSO: Why Are The Springs Yellow? WYSO Curious Dips a Toe into Glen Helen’s Famous Spring, USGS Water Science School: The Water Cycle, Yellow Spring News: Installment 1: 1803 to 1853