- First Infirmary – the building was erected west of town, on land bought from Dr. James B. Oliver, in April 1826.
- First Foundry – Opened by McElwee and Clegg and the first “heat” was made on December 2, 1828.
- First Park – The land on Third Street between St. Clair and Patterson – now occupied by the public library – was deeded to the city in 1836 by David Ziegler Cooper, the son of D. C. Cooper, with the provision that it was “to be kept forever as a walk for the citizens of Dayton and its visitors.” It was first known as the “public square.”
- First Episcopal Church – St. Thomas Episcopal Church, the first Episcopal church in Dayton, was organized on May 15, 1817 by Bishop Chase, with 23 members.
- First High School – Authorized in 1850 by the school board; known as “Central High” and located at the southwest corner of Fourth Street and Wilkinson Street.
- First Locomotive – Council on May 31, 1830, passed resolution “that the proprietor of the locomotive engine and railway now being exhibited in the Methodist church be exempt from a license fee.”
- First Constable – Cyrus Osborn
- First Agricultural Society – Organized in 1845 with Colonel Henry Protzman as president.
- First Fair – Started in 1845 in the wagon yard of Swaine’s Hotel, located on First Street, east of Main Street. The first fairgrounds were on three acres of ground leased from Daniel Kiser in what is now North Dayton.
Don’t forget about the Dayton Unknown Fall Scavenger Hunt on October 15th! Click here for more information!