The Story of Jordan Anderson

Jordan Anderson was a slave until the Civil War, when Union Soldiers freed him. He took his family to Dayton, where they settled and he obtained work as a servant, janitor, coachman, etc. until 1894 when he became a sexton at a church.

In July of 1865, Colonel P.H. Anderson, his former owner, wrote Jordan a letter asking him to return to his plantation and help him bring in the crops after the war. Through his employer, Valentine Winters, Jordan responded with the following letter, sent to the Cincinnati Commercial and subsequently published.

Read More »

Advertisements

Tomorrow’s the Big Day!

The countdown is over! It’s finally here!!

The Dayton Unknown Fall Scavenger Hunt is tomorrow!!

We will be meeting at Wegerzyn Gardens Metropark for our Photo Scavenger Hunt at 2pm! Look for the green balloons in the picnic area – Sara and Bethany will be waiting there to meet with everyone before the event.

This event is for the entire family! Dogs are welcome at Wegerzyn, as long as they are leashed.

Here are a few examples of winners from past Photo Scavenger Hunts we’ve hosted!

WinnersSSH
Alicia and Tracy’s winning prompts were “A Different Way of Looking at Things,” Shauna’s winning prompt was, “__ is for…” and she stated “You know what it’s for!” And Bea’s winning prompt was, “Bon Appetit!” for the edible plants!

Dayton Firsts Part 6

  • First Infirmary – the building was erected west of town, on land bought from Dr. James B. Oliver, in April 1826.
  • First Foundry – Opened by McElwee and Clegg and the first “heat” was made on December 2, 1828.
  • First Park – The land on Third Street between St. Clair and Patterson – now occupied by the public library – was deeded to the city in 1836 by David Ziegler Cooper, the son of D. C. Cooper, with the provision that it was “to be kept forever as a walk for the citizens of Dayton and its visitors.”  It was first known as the “public square.”
  • First Episcopal Church – St. Thomas Episcopal Church, the first Episcopal church in Dayton, was organized on May 15, 1817 by Bishop Chase, with 23 members.
  • First High School – Authorized in 1850 by the school board; known as “Central High” and located at the southwest corner of Fourth Street and Wilkinson Street.
  • First Locomotive – Council on May 31, 1830, passed resolution “that the proprietor of the locomotive engine and railway now being exhibited in the Methodist church be exempt from a license fee.”
  • First Constable – Cyrus Osborn
  • First Agricultural Society – Organized in 1845 with Colonel Henry Protzman as president.
  • First Fair – Started in 1845 in the wagon yard of Swaine’s Hotel, located on First Street, east of Main Street. The first fairgrounds were on three acres of ground leased from Daniel Kiser in what is now North Dayton.  


Don’t forget about the Dayton Unknown Fall Scavenger Hunt on October 15th! Click here for more information!