It is well-known that Dayton is a center for innovation. Here are a few examples of some inventions that have come from our great city:
- Cash Register – James and John Ritty, 1870.
- First Practical Airplane – Wright Brothers, 1903.
- Automobile Self-starter: Charles F. Kettering, 1911.
- Leaded Gasoline – Thomas Midgley Jr., 1921.
- Mae West Life Preserver – Frank G. Manson, 1938.
- Microencapsulation – Barrett K. Green, 1955.
- Microfiche – Carl O. Carlson, 1965.
- LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) – John L. Janning, 1974.
- Two-way shipping labels – Standard Register Company, 2007.